Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My BCC surgery

Today I had my surgery to remove the Basal Cell Carcinoma that was above my left eyebrow.
Let me back up a few months. Back in April I went to the dermatologist about this red spot above my eyebrow. It was noticeable and itchy. I had a biopsy done and it turned out to be Basal cell carcinoma (BCC). Which isn't life threatening but nonetheless is skin cancer. So I went in for surgery back in May. However, the Dr. wanted to reschedule the surgery because I was pregnant with Riley at the time. I was told it was safe to do during my pregnancy, but then when he saw the size of the spot he said the anesthetic would be to much for the baby.
So here I am today a couple months after Riley was born and finally got it removed. I was so nervous because I thought it was pretty involved.  I had Chris, my Dad, and Josh Tollefson give me a blessing last night. I got something to relax me today, which was helpful. It made me tired and a little loopy. The first part of the surgery was the removal and the Dr. got it all the first time, so that was good. Then I went back in for the repair. That was the worst part. He showed me how he was going to repair it by not causing the tissue to pucker or make me look like Elvis with my eyebrow raising up. I made sure to tell him to not do that. "Thank you very much!" So during the repair I was shaking (from the anesthetic I think) and it was kindof scary to have someone working on your forehead while you are awake. The Dr. and nurse were great though. They were talking to me and telling me jokes and stories. It was a pretty quick surgery and we were home by 1 pm. It was really weird having 1/2 my forehead, eyelid, and top of my head completely numb. Chris decided to stay with me all day instead of going back to work. He was great. He took care of the kids. Riley was very fussy since I couldn't nurse her today from the meds and anesthesia.  He made dinner too. I was so tired,  I slept this afternoon.  It was great to rest.
The picture of me holding an L to my head is because I'm a major loser for not going in sooner for a skin check, even after everything with Chris' cancer. Also now I have a huge stitch line in the shape of a L. The Dr. showed me the stitches afterwards. Now I don't have to do the L shape with my hand, it is now branded on my forehead. HaHa! I have to keep the bandage on all the time, so redressing it everyday for a week.
So let this be a lesson to all you fair skinned people who like to sun tan. Please use SPF lotion and see a Dermatologist (start at an earlier age). I never thought I would end up with BCC at a young age. Most common areas are above the eyebrows or on the nose.  I'm doing fine now, still tired and having a little bit of pain, but manageable. I'll update my status later, after the stitches come out. For now I have to wear a huge bandage for a week.



3 comments:

Katherine Jeffries said...

I seriously bought the "roller derby" comment by Chris on facebook. I was like, "Dude, do I even know Jenelle? She does roller derby???" I'm glad you got it all removed and it wasn't a total nightmare. Get better fast, woman! kj

Rusty and Amy said...

Oh boy! What an experience! I'm so glad you got your plastic surgery out of the way so you can look decent again! Jk! I keep thinking of that Smashmouth song, "she was lookin' kinds dumb with her finger and her thumb in the shape of an L on her forehead"! Just not the "dumb" part. :)

Rusty and Amy said...

Oh boy! What an experience! I'm so glad you got your plastic surgery out of the way so you can look decent again! Jk! I keep thinking of that Smashmouth song, "she was lookin' kinds dumb with her finger and her thumb in the shape of an L on her forehead"! Just not the "dumb" part. :)